How much should I walk to lose weight?
We all know that exercising is the best way to lose weight. You can go on a specific diet if you want to lose weight but exercising will ensure that you are burning fats, not muscles. Exercising will help your body increase the mass of lean muscles. It will also increase your rate of metabolism and will help you to burn more calories.
Walking is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to exercise. It will help you to lose weight in addition to a lot of other health benefits.
Walking is a cheap and easy exercise that doesn’t need any exercise equipment or preparation. All you need is a pair of good shoes and the will to walk and you will be all set. It is the best exercise to lose weight because it has a lot of benefits:
- Walking is a great cardiovascular exercise that will help you lose weight and will improve the health of your lungs and heart.
- Walking improves muscles toning and endurance especially in the lower body muscles.
- It boosts the blood circulation and improves the health of your bones.
- Fast walking burns an amount of calories that is equal to the amount of calories burnt in jogging and running. But walking imposes less stress on the knee joints, so it is better for people who suffer from knee conditions like Arthritis or are recovering from joints injury.
- It helps the body to get rid of the excess fluid that tends to collect in the feet and legs and can lead to pain and inflammation.
- Walking increases the oxygen supply in the body which will help it to get rid of toxins and will improve the overall health.
- Walking puts less pressure on the spine than running and jogging. It is better exercise for people who suffer from spine injuries.
- It strengthens the muscles and tendons of the feet and the legs.
How often should I walk?
It is recommended to walk for at least 30 minutes for 5 days a week. You can break up your walking routine to 2 different sessions per day. You can try slowly then increase your pace as you get accustomed to walking. By time you will see that your tolerance is increasing and that you can walk for longer distances without feeling any muscle pain or strain.
How many calories do I burn when I walk?
You can lose 20 pounds in 5 to 6 months simply by walking without sticking to a certain diet regimen. The number of calories you burn per session will depend on your body weight and walking pace. If you walk at an average speed you can burn 400 calories in one hour of walking.
Usually people start burning calories after walking for 2000 steps or 1 mile. Wearing a pedometer is a great way to count your steps to know how many steps you are taking per day and how many more you need to walk in order to burn calories.
1 mile walked per day will help your body to burn 100 calories. Your body needs to burn 3500 calories if you want to lose one pound. This means that you need to burn at least 500 calories per day if you want to lose one pound of your extra weight per week.
You can exercise and walk for 10,000 steps if you want to lose 500 calories per day. Of course, you can increase the amount of calories burnt by increasing your pace as you walk. You can also help your body to lose the extra pounds if you limit your fat intake and stick to healthy food.
How can I increase the number of steps I take every day?
Walking for 10,000 steps per day can sound really challenging, but it is doable. You can do a lot of things to help your body reach this number of steps in order to burn calories and lose weight:
- Avoid using a car or taxi. This might not be easy if you live away from your work, but you can do this if you are visiting a friend who lives nearby or want to pick up something at the supermarket or the grocery store. The idea is to program your body to walk instead of resorting to using a car even in short distances.
- If you must use a car, then try to park it away from your destination. This is another way to walk more.
- Use the stairway instead of the elevator. You will help your body to take more steps and it is also good exercise to your heart.
- Change your routine and paths taken. Take a new route if possible and listen to music to motivate yourself.
- Invite a friend. Walking with a friend is a motivating way to keep moving.
Walking is a great way to lose weight. Stick to it and you will witness how your body transforms.